Sunday, February 08, 2004

A nakedly promotional note



For those interested, you can now pre-order my forthcoming book, Death on the Fourth of July: A Hate Crime, a Killing, and a Trial in Small-Town America.

It's due out in early June. I've been haggling with the publisher over the subtitle -- I don't think it emphasizes enough that the book in fact is a survey and history of hate crimes in modern America, wrapped around this singular case -- but it seems I'm going to lose out to the marketing department. Ah well.

In any event, I hope the book has at least a modest impact. A number of people have written me to say that my Orcinus posts about hate crimes have changed their views of the laws. (You'd be surprised how many liberals oppose the laws, primarily for civil-libertarian reasons.) I'm hoping the book makes clear exactly why these laws deserve our full support, perhaps to enough people that we can finally get a real federal hate-crime law passed.

No comments: